// Software Architect Job Description Template
Software Architects serve as the foundation, and work at the convergence point of Engineering, Architecture, and Operations. With the right Software Architect, you can develop optimal and productive solutions that fit your business and data requirements. This Software Architect job description template will help you hire the best developer for your team.Hire a Top Software Architect
Why hire a Software Architect?
With a Software Architect on board, you can:
- Get an acute analysis and in-depth breakdown of your company's software needs.
- Develop products faster and efficiently with a defined solution and blueprint.
- Test software and optimize applications to ensure business requirements are met.
- Predict attributes of software systems and build reusable and scalable models.
At Flexiple we have learned through trial and error - a process of filtering through over 15,000 developers, that this is not always an easy task.
Your Software Architect job description affects the quality of your hire, and in turn, your project.
Worry not, though. We have compiled this template to make your job easier. We have covered the various Software Architect roles and responsibilities that your developer should be able to handle and the skills they should possess. Check it out!
Software Architect - Job Description
Software Architect at a FinTech StartUp
We are looking to hire a Software Architect who can contribute innovative solutions in developing our cloud based software products. We're growing fast and we need someone who shares our passion and interest in building scalable, superior, and optimal systems for our clients. You would be joining a remote team who value flexibility and freedom to get quality work done, uninterrupted.
Software Architect Roles and Responsibilities
- You will be proactively building and refining our software stack, including the core optimization system.
- You will be collaborating with our architects and product managers with an objective of maintaining privacy and security compliances.
- You will be proactively working with the team to apply design principles into code to fit client and business requirements.
- You will be sharing feedback and brainstorming ideas with teams to develop and determine best practices and for our custom software stack.
- You will be required to execute independent code reviews to identify pain points and troubleshoot with innovative auotmation solutions.
- You will be in charge of preparation of automation roadmap, cost estimates, timeline estimates and value realization plan.
Expectations in the first week
- Join the team, understand our team's best practices & processes.
- Get familiar with our product, and our tools.
- Get familiar with the business, our business rules, and our best practices.
Expectations in the first month
- Work with the team to get a better understanding of our existing software, its structure and architecture.
- Conduct analysis to identify areas of opportunity and bottlenecks with innovative solutions.
Expectations in the first six months
- Communicate with managers,and clients to understand product requirements and create project roadmaps with details such resources required, estimated timeline,etc.
- Document and run tests to enhance product performance and initiate new features.
Software Architect Skills and qualifications
- 12+ years experience designing and implementing software applications.
- Bachelor degree in computer science, engineering, or any other related field, or any equivalent training, or work experience.
- Experience in building large scale, multi-tenant, infrastructure platforms on public cloud.
- 5+ years of experience in database design and data modeling.
- Experience in developing applications using SQL, React (Next.js), Node, Python.
- A good foundation of RDBMS and NoSQL database.
- Familiarity and sensibilities with UML diagramming complex architectures.
- Strong comprehension of cybersecurity and open-source technologies.
- Has strong hands-on experience with data pipeline orchestration technologies (NiFi, Kubeflow).
- Previous experience with cloud security technologies.
Round 1 : Take a home test that involves writing a solution code to a problem statement.
Round 2 : Technical interview testing hard and soft skills
Round 3 : Interview with the founder of the company.
Round 4 : HR Interview.
Why work with us
At XYZ, you have the opportunity to
- Work in a fully remote (work from anywhere) role.
- Receive a more-than-competitive salary plus benefits.
- A flat and transparent culture.
- Support for setting up home office.
- Enjoy a culture with opportunities for exponential growth and learning.
Who you'll work with
You will be working together with the founder, the engineering team lead and design team. To know more the individuals you'll be working with you can visit their profiles here [LinkedIn profile link] or [AngelList profile link].
How to apply
- If you're interested in the role, send in your resume to the this email address [email ID].
- If you know someone talented who might be a good fit, refer them to us.
- For any queries you have , email us at [email ID]
// How to write a Software Architect Job Description
State your requirement upfront so that you target the right developers.
In the job title use specific and clear keywords to describe your company and the project at hand. Also mention who would be an ideal hire for the role in the title itself to draw their attention.
For the candidate to get an overall sense of what they will be working on, you can specify:
- Info about your company.
- What the project is about, the stage it's at and any future plans.
- The tech stack that your project runs on.
- Who would be an ideal fit for the role.
Roles and Responsibilities
List what is expected of the candidate on joining:
- State the component to be built and programming language to be used.
- Mention how the new hire should coordinate with the team.
- Segregate the role into time-frames showing role progression.
Qualifications and Skills
State the prerequisites for the role here.
- Mention the tech stack, its versions, code editors and project management frameworks that the candidate must be familiar with.
- State any necessary degree, experience working in a remote or hybrid model, side projects and certifications.
Why work with us
Write a short segment about your company's mission and core values to target candidates who align with your ideals.
You can also mention the location, compensation, industry, info about hierarchy/team size, work environment, other opportunities and timings.
Who you'll work with
In this section, you can let the candidate know who they will be working with during and after onboarding.
Share LinkedIn, Twitter and other social profiles of the team/PoC to enable the candidate to prepare in a better way.
// Best Practices
Here are some points to keep in mind when creating your Software Architect job description.
Consult your team
Get an idea of the work to be done by the new hire and the success metrics from the developers already working on the project.
Avoid confusing the job seeker through the use of jargon in your job description. For instance, say 'Junior Developer' instead of 'App Wizard.'
Keeping just one criteria is a no-no.
Don't make the mistake of hiring candidates with sole focus on hard skills. Watch out for soft skills and any negative signs.
Don't make it too wordy or too bare
Job descriptions that are contain between 700 to 2000 characters receive 30% more applicants than other postings.